9 Healthy Habits that made me HAPPIER! - HEALTH RESET
“Healthy self = Heal thy self.” – Unknown
Health is wealth and certainly the foundation to any hustle. But I recently got a wake up call that made me value health for much more than I’d ever had before.
Because ovarian and breast cancer runs in my family, I was urged to get genetic testing to see if I have the BRACA2 gene that makes you exponentially more at risk for breast and ovarian cancer.
When the doctor called to say my test was positive, time seemed to slow down. Although it was far from a call to say I actually had cancer, the thought that my chances for getting cancer were higher shook me to core. Thoughts of not being here for my beautiful babies instantly flooded my mind, and a fire was lit under my ass in that very moment to take care of myself like never before.
Beyond the preventive surgeries I am considering, my wellness journey became my top priority. There was no way I was going to partake in any lifestyle choices that made my risk for cancer any higher. And it really made me put my wellness habits under a microscope.
I looked at things I was doing and not doing, eating and not eating, drinking and not drinking, and I decided I was not doing things that did not serve me. I made a decision to end my toxic relationship with things that I loved that did not love me back.
Stepping into my healthy woman era, I decided to pour into things that pour into me.
So join me, as I share the life changing healthy habits I have recently implemented. Because as Gandhi once said, “It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver.”
Before we jump in, I want to mention these are just my new habits that I am implementing, for my full list of habits be sure to check out my non-negotiables blog!
ONE: Pouring Into My Mind
- Journaling in my planner
- Restarting mindfulness of thoughts meditation
- Social media boundaries
TWO: Pouring Into My Body
Healthy habits can lengthen life, according to the National Institute of Health! Here are the 5 main live lengthening habits they endorsed:
- Healthy eating pattern
- Not smoking
- 3.5 hours of moderate to vigorous exercise per week
- Drinking only moderate amounts of alcohol (one drink per day for women, 2 for men)
- Maintaining a normal weight
“At age 50, women who didn’t adopt any of the five healthy habits were estimated to live on average until they were 79 years old and men until they were 75.5 years. In contrast, women who adopted all five healthy lifestyle habits lived 93.1 years and men lived 87.6 years.”
- New Food Habits - “Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.” – Hippocrates
- No alcohol
- Less red meat
- No dairy
- Less processed food
- New Movement Habits
- Vigorous cardio
- New Healthcare Habits
- New Supplements
- New smoothie recipe
- Happy Gummies
- Reference supplements video
- Restarting magnesium
- Quick to schedule a doctor or dentist appointmet
THREE: Pouring Into My Spirit
- Reading for pleasure
- Slow Living (like really slow)
- Back to waking up at 4:45 (reference 5AM Video)
- Starting later and ending earlier
- Full breaks in nature
- More buffers
Bonus: How to JUMP START your own wellness journey and stick to healthy habits
- Define your WHY for wanting to be healthier
- Set your goals
- Start small
- Use a habit tracker
- Use modAmbition habit tracker to jump start new habits. As a psychologist, one thing that was important to me when creating this goal planner was making sure it incorporated evidenced based psychology on habit forming and achieving.
🔗modAmbition Planner: https://www.modambition.com/products/modambition-goal-planner
Videos mentioned 📺:
My Daily non-negotiable habits: https://youtu.be/u2Obtuv4NeY
My supplement routine: https://youtu.be/_xR0DCvxHNM
How to wake up at 5AM: https://youtu.be/9hOD_LrUpXk
Why you can’t stick to new habits: https://youtu.be/XZ7AK1xDRZ0